I Believe in Sisters

Emily - Salt Lake City, Utah

I believe in sisters. I was born into a family of girls. There are 5 girls in my family, my mom, Cynthia, Sarah, Mary, Laura, and, Emily (that me!). Then there’s my dad. Jerry, poor, poor Jerry surrounded by all of us girls! However I mostly want to talk about Sarah, Mary, and Laura.

Being the youngest of 4 girls isn’t always easy. They always tell me I’m annoying. We fight, pull hair, we hit, and we ignore. Even though I may not like them at times they know and I know that they will always love me, and I will always love them, and that was proved this summer.

This summer my oldest sister Sarah was diagnosed with an Anaplastic Oglioastrocytoma. I know what you’re thinking, “what the heck is that?” An Anaplastic Oglioastrocytoma, is cancerous brain tumor. We found out she had a tumor and the next day it was removed and within 5 days we found out it was cancer and within a month she was on chemo and radiation. I have learned why I love my sisters so much.

Mary, Laura and I spent most of our summer in Sarah’s hospital room. I love my sisters because during that time they knew how to make light of the situation. I never felt sad when I was with them, in fact that’s the happiest I can remember being in a long time. Thinking about that is weird because of the situation. We did not know what was going to happen to my oldest sister, and yet I was happy. I was not happy because we did not know what was going to happen, but she made it ok, my sisters made it ok. We never thought about anything but each other.

A memory from this summer that makes me smile at the fact that I have sisters was shaving Sarah’s legs. Sarah was trapped in her bed after surgery and she made it very clear to us that she had not shaved her legs in a little over a week. The surgery had taken her ability to use her right side so it was up to Mary, Laura, and I to shave her legs. What if she had had brothers in this situation I can bet you they would not have shaved her legs! But my sisters and I were tickled pink to. It’s such a fun memory, and one that shows me how blessed I am to have sisters.

I believe in sisters because sisters share a bond no boy and no tumor can break. We understand each other without having to say and we love each other through good and bad times.

Sarah is doing really well now. Mary and Laura will always be the best support system. Whether we are sitting in the living room watching TV, shaving Sarah’s legs or lounging by a campfire. I know they are my sisters and they love me. I believe in sisters because I have them.