Pride is Forever

Nathan - Northfield, Minnesota

I once believed that pain was a bad thing, but now I believe that pain is temporary and pride is forever. I used to be scared of pain, but without pain there can be no gain. People must endure pain throughout their life in order to really enjoy the happy times and not take them for granted. This applies to both the mental and physical aspects of life.

Everyday, through the grueling hours of wrestling practice, I look at the words written on the wall in black. They say, “Pain is temporary and pride is forever.” This is where I learned the quote. These words help me push hard through practice and when I finish practice my whole body aches. This is a rewarding feeling though, because I know I am improving and getting in shape.

I have also gone through many hard emotional times that made me wonder if I was ever going to make it. During my senior year of high school, I felt a lot of emotional pain. My favorite uncle died and his funeral was the first time I ever saw my father cry. I also got injured and had to sit out my last high school wrestling season when I was ranked second in the state. I had a problem with my kidneys and after a dozen trips to the doctor they came to the conclusion I had athletic hemostasis, but there is no cure. This was also about the time my girlfriend of two and a half years decided to break up with me. Finally, to top it all off, my father had a heart attack. The ride to the hospital that night was probably the hardest thing I have ever had to do, not knowing whether my father, the person who means the most in the world to me, was going to live or die. Through all of this emotional pain, I dug for my inner strength, and now I believe my pride is stronger.

The saying “Pain is temporary and pride is forever” has many different meanings. It means that you should not worry about the pain your body is enduring because the pain will fade but it will build pride that you can live with forever. It also has to do with your emotions; when you are down and depressed, fight through the pain and save your pride. Yes, it hurts but that pain will fade and you will be left with your pride and the way you cope with things your whole life.

So as I live my life day by day, struggling through hard emotional and physical times, I will always keep that quote in my head and live by it. I know life will not be easy for anyone. You will meet many struggles in your life, but you have to remember that pain is temporary and pride is forever.