The Joy of Christmas

Vanessa - Magna, Utah
Themes: love

I believe that Christmas is about love.

I believe that presents we receive on Christmas Day are the icing on the top of the cake. Christmas is about being with your family and friends loving each other and having a great time. To get ready for Christmas and the arrival of Saint Nicholas we have to prepare like we prepare the turkey for Thanksgiving. We set up the decorations and the Christmas tree. The smell of the pine tree moves its way down the hall and bursts me with excitement because I know that Christmas is here. We put the lights on the tree, so it will glow with color all through the house; we put the ornaments’ one by one on the tree because each one has a memory to savory.

I start by baking brownies and cookies from scratch and the smell leaves the house smelling with joyful smells and sweetness. My grandma finishes her last presents of wrapping to leave under the tree for Christmas morning. My mom is cooking dinner for our guests that come over on Christmas Eve as my dad and grandpa are watching the games on television. Finally, we all get together to eat, play games, and watch Christmas movies. I believe that Christmas is more about preparing everything to have Christmas Day to love your family. I go to bed early for the arrival of Santa; when I wake in the morning all that I wanted is there including the people in my life that made my Christmas the best one.

My belief in Christmas is formed out of love, family, and beauty. The first Christmas I can remember is when I was five years old. I remember my family getting out the tree, decorations, and the lights to put outside. They did so much to prepare, but I didn’t think Christmas was that big of a deal I just wanted the presents that lied underneath the tree. I thought that presents were the only thing that was important, but then my grandma told me, “Christmas is about the love we give and receive to one another; the presents just give off extra love that we can share.” I will never forget this saying she told me and I will try and live up to the love my grandma had for everyone!

When Christmas comes the first thing I think about is old St. Nick. With his big round belly and his red suit and hat he puts on the night before the clock strikes twelve. With his black boots and his white hairy beard, his cheeks are warm and red and his mittens cover his hands. He gets in his slay with his bag of presents in the back, he calls on the reindeer, “Now Dasher! Now, Dancer! Now, Prancer & Vixen! On Comet! On Cupid! On Donner & Blitzen! Santa Claus flies through the night sky delivering the presents to all the good boys and girls.