My Family

Christina - Murray, Utah

I believe my family is my strength and my guide to becoming me.

My family is one the closest families I’ve ever seen. My cousins are my best friends and I trust them from everyday secrets to my whole life. Everyone in my family is always there for each other, through the good and the bad times. I know many of each of their deepest secrets, because we honestly trust each other.

There have been recent troubles with my family because of my Uncle passing. He was a great man, and loved by many. But little did we know he was having troubles and felt he couldn’t stay with us any longer. This was very hard for everyone he knew, and still is for me. He was my best friend, and as close as they get. I feel like there is a hole in my heart.

Through this hard time I’ve found my path to realize who I am. My family is helping me to become less dependent on others, and more dependent on myself. Before the troubles, I saw everyone as a group and not individuals with their own lives. When I noticed I saw my wonderful family in this group, I also noticed I saw myself this way too. I needed to free myself from this perspective and become the individual I’m supposed to be. I’ve had the hardest time doing so, but with my family by my side I’ve stuck to it.

I’ve wanted to give up and fall into a slump many times. But what I’ve learned so far, it’s that when you give up you lose progress and have to restart. Almost like falling behind on your homework; fighting to catch up and make up what you should have already done. But I cannot let it happen because it’s even harder to get out.

This step in my life is hard enough, without adding the pressure and struggles of going through it in high school. But because of this step I’ve decided to take on, and realizing how many people haven’t even thought about realizing their self, I’m able to stay above the influences. I see people my age that turn to drugs, or drinking and I realize that would only destroy the progress I’ve made. Plus with my strong family ties I see no reason to destroy my future with them by acting stupid.

So with this step and the strong support of my family I’m on a journey to find who the real Christina is. Therefore, I believe my family is my strength and my guide to becoming me.