My New Book

Amy - Salt Lake City, Utah

“Mr. and Mrs. Dursley of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.” Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, J.K. Rowling.

The first sentence in a series of griping novels that made a dyslexic eight year learn to read. I remember reading the first book thinking, Harry was so brave, Ron was so smart, and Hermione was kind of annoying. Because of my dyslexia it was hard for me to read, and I did not start to become better at reading until I started reading the Harry Potter books. These books and all the books I have read after them have helped me to overcome my dyslexia. I will never fully escape this learning disability but because my addiction to reading I have conquered it so that the words on the page don’t get quite as jumbled up.

I believe in the power of a good book. I guess you could call me a book worm. Every time I read I good book, one that makes my think about myself, and one that makes me think about the world, it affects how I think and act. For example after I read the book The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, a book about following your dream no matter what, it made me ask myself what my dream is. I found that my dream is to become an actress. Not just because of the fame that comes with being an actress, but to become one because of the skill and beauty that you need to develop into a great actress.

Some books not only teach me life lessons but also help expand my view of the world. Books help me to think outside the box, to view the world through new eyes. Like in the book Bronx Masquerade by Nikki Grimes, a book about eighteen kids living in Harlem. They told their life story through poetry about their lives. When I first saw this book it was when my teacher in eighth grade gave it to us as a reading assignment. I thought it was going to be some sad story about these kids’ lives that was to inspire me to help people. As I started to read the book I found that the voices of these individuals were not sorry for themselves or looking for help. They were just trying to tell their story. Trying be heard because no one else would listen to their stories except for when they read their poetry about their lives in school. This book taught me to never judge an individual by it’s their appearance because people never appear to be what they seem.

Books not only help me escape from the world around me into a fantastic world of dragons and wizards like in the books of Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. Or like in the book Twilight by Stephanie Meyer where I escape into a world of wars between vampires and love. These books make me think about who I am and who I want to be. Every time I sit down in my big arm chair and open a new book I am not just starting the first page of a new book, but I am starting a new page in my own life.