What We May Lose

Kiernyn - Denver, Colorado

It was about 10:30 am on a Saturday when I received the call from my brother. It was about my mom. When I picked up the phone, placed the receiver to my ear, and heard the first word come out of my brother’s mouth, I was almost instantly bored. I had no time for news of my mother. I was busy, distracted, and too good for such news. I was going to see her soon anyway. She was coming up from Nevada to see my brother dance and I was to have lunch with her Sunday afternoon. So why would I want to hear news about my mother when she’s going to tell me it anyway? I was instantaneously unimpressed. Straight from that first statement alone, I was bored out of my mind, but for the sake of humoring my brother I listened on. I was wrong. She wasn’t coming up to see my brother. She wasn’t going to meet me for lunch on Sunday. The news was that she wasn’t going to be able to tell me her stories at all. At least not for a while. My brother called to tell me that my mother had gotten in a severe accident.

“She’s in the hospital.”

She’s been there for me my whole life. From my birth to now, my mother has raised me to be the person that I am today. She’s comforted me when I’ve needed it. She’s held me when I’ve felt alone. She’s fed me when I’ve felt hungry. I was ready to turn her away to things that I felt were more important than the love and tender care she’s provided for me my entire life. Without her, I’d just be another motherless being in a harsh and unloving environment. It took a horrible accident to convince me that my mom was the most important person in the world. It took this one near death experience to shine a light on the unconditional amenities that I have taken for granted from my mother. It took pain to show love. Some people say that no one really knows how much they’d miss something until it’s gone. I feel that in this occasion, even the threat of something or someone disappearing forever from ones life is enough to convince them of love. Death and love coincide in this way.

Think about it. If you could be in the company of any one in the world, who would it be? Some would mention the names of presidents, philosophers, celebrities, or magicians of trade. Me, I’d choose my mom. I took advantage of her before but ever since the accident, I’ve been hurting to hear her news everyday. I can’t think of any better person to love and be loved by. Can you? Ever since that call from my brother, I’ve constantly repeated those emotions over and over in my head, and I’ve come to the conclusion that even though I did treat my mother as a coach class member to the flight of my life, I still have respect for her. I always will. I believe that every one should because without our mothers, we’d just have our fathers and that’s where life truly gets boring.