A Semi-True Belief in

Michael - Ogden, Utah

I believe in experience. Or at least I think I do. Experience sounds like a great thing to have a belief in. A belief in experience sounds like a bold statement, but saying one believes in experience is so vague. It could mean anything, thus it really means nothing. It is a belief that sounds strong, that could spark the hearts of listeners and readers. This is a perfect belief to have for NPR’s This I Believe and hopefully will be enough to earn me a satisfactory grade in my english class.

There are several different ways I can express my belief in experience. The first is my one of my favorites: sharing experiences about experience. I could share my stories of war and how they made me find myself. I could also talk about how my forgiveness of the person who hurt me or someone close to me reassured my faith in humanity. Unfortunately, none of these are true, nor even close to the truth. In past experiences, lying isn’t the best thing to do, much less lying on national radio, the internet, or even to your english class.

Another literary strategy commonly used in This I Believe statements is the “super metaphor”. In school, we learned that a metaphor is the comparison between two unlike things to draw meaning. A super metaphor is the comparison between two things that you never, ever would have thought would be used in the same sentence, much less to make reasonable thoughts. My belief in experience is like wrestling angry, intoxicated walrus could be an excellent start to admitting how my beliefs have never been accepted by my peers and have caused me to never fully accept myself. Once again, not true but it does put a vivid image in my head and could more listeners to tears, despite the humorous image of a drunk, three thousand pound mammal attacking a skinny white kid.

The final possible method is the only one that might have some reality behind it for me. The idea that I believe in experience because I have none of it. I have spent sixteen years experiencing. I have sat through boring and funny classes, traveled across the US, and lived life like most teenagers would. However, I feel like haven’t even begun to experience life. I think that the only way you find yourself is by experiencing the unknown and seeing how you react to it. Hopefully someday I will have experience enough to believe in more. So I guess I do believe in experience, even if I have an odd way of expressing it.