Importance of Brothers

Michael - Salt Lake City, Utah

I believe in my brothers, my younger siblings who make my life what it is. They have an innate ability to keep my life interesting and with them around I’m never really the bored teenager I could be.

About a week ago, I was playing football with my younger brothers and some family friends at a local park before Thanksgiving (as was tradition) and on the first or second down of the game I pushed my twelve year old brother to the ground because I didn’t want to hurt him by tackling him. Ironically, it turns out he landed on his shoulder, breaking his clavicle. The next day, he strapped his arm to his body and left the house on his long board. He instantly took a fall but got back up and proceeded to make his way down our street, leaving me awestruck at his determination.

My younger brothers are great teachers. They teach me things like how to land a 360 on a snowboard, and how to play the bass, but they also teach me things like patience and kindness. Even Jonny, my two-year-old brother teaches me things like how to be happy. One evening, after a difficult and frustrating day, I came home and sat on the couch to relax, only to have Jonny come up and insist on me reading him story after story. After a few books, I realized I was feeling much better and everything didn’t seem so bad. Jonny teaches me to just be happy, to greet every normal day with enthusiasm. No matter how upset anyone is, his smile and laugh can get the rest of the family grinning right along with him.

I hang out with my younger brothers a lot. A friend of mine once made fun of me by calling me a “social hermit” because I was just fine with spending a weekend with my little brothers, going snowboarding, playing football, having eating contests, whatever. I laughed; it didn’t bother me. I like to hang out with friends, but I have tons fun hanging out with my younger siblings. My brothers are great kids and although they can be terribly embarrassing, we still have a lot of fun together.

My father’s number one rule in our family is that brothers always stick together, because eventually, they’ll be all I’ve have left. Yes, they can be dorks, and yes they’re capable of being annoying and obnoxious, but they’re my brothers, and I’m stuck with them for life. And no matter what, through thick and thin, they’ll always be there for me, and I’ll always be there for them.