How Do You Handle Curveballs?

Tiffany - Florence, Kentucky

How Do You Handle Curveballs?

No one knows what the next day will bring them. Although we like to believe we’re in full control of the world around us, not a single person can be completely prepared for what life is going to throw at them. Life throws curveballs constantly, and the question is where are we headed? In today’s crazy world a person needs to accept that life can lead them anywhere, and make most of their situation. I believe in fate, and what direction it can lead a person‘s life in.

Fate has given me one of the people I am most thankful for in my life. This story takes place at the beginning of my senior year in high school. It was time for Football Homecoming, the first dance of the year. I had been dating the same boy for nearly a year at the time, but things were not going very well. Most of my friends were in the Homecoming Parade prior to the dance, and following the game they had to change out of the suits they wore to the parade into their dresses for the dance. It was then that one of my best friends, Courtney, told me about her date for the dance. Courtney had been set up on a blind date by another one of our girlfriends, and had only seen pictures of the boy she’d be dancing with for the night. Since she was going to be late getting into the dance I was asked to get him in for her.

Once in the dance my friends told me to go get the boy. As I walked to the doors to greet him I couldn’t help but stare. He was exactly my type: tall, muscular but not to much, dark hair and gorgeous brown eyes. This just wasn’t fair. As I signed him in we just kept staring at one another. I grabbed him by the hand and led him onto the dance floor. I didn’t care that he thought I was my best friend, I had never instantly felt this way about someone. The way he kept looking at me, I was pretty sure he was feeling the same way.

We walked back over to my friends, and there his date awaited. My boyfriend snatched my hand away from his, and took me away to go dance with him. I just kept looking at the boy with the gorgeous eyes. By the look of confusion on his face I knew what he was thinking. I was supposed to be his date. Courtney didn’t notice anything was wrong so she proceeded to try and flirt her way into his heart. I was prepared to drop the thoughts I had earlier, he was there with my best friend and I had a boyfriend. I was never going to end up with the boy who had the gorgeous eyes, the one I had fallen for in an instant.

My boyfriend was being a jerk, like usual. I was getting incredibly frustrated, and all I wanted was to go home. It was then that my luck turned around. The boy that Courtney had been hoping would take her to the dance surprised her by showing up. My dream guy was now without a dancing partner, and all I wanted to do was go claim him as my own. I didn’t want to start a fight at the dance so I held back my urges and stayed put with my boyfriend. My dream guy didn’t stay alone for long, within two minutes he had another girl to dance with, and I put the thoughts of him and I together in the back of my mind for the second time that night. I felt like a terrible for feeling this way about another guy when I had a boyfriend, but I couldn’t help myself. That night I went home with a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach, and my heart in pieces.

I couldn’t stop talking about the boy with the gorgeous eyes when I got home. My Mom was extremely excited I had found someone else who sparked my interest because she also felt that I was dating a jerk. To my amazement when I checked my Facebook, an online site where people can talk to one another, my dream guy had sent me a message, and that’s when I finally found out what his name was, Brent. For the next few weeks we stayed in touch, but it never went past the boundaries of friendship. I didn’t want to ruin the year long relationship I had with my current boyfriend, but I knew something was wrong with our relationship. About a month after the dance I discovered my boyfriend was cheating on me. I see this breakup as fate telling me what I needed to do. That night I sent Brent a message telling him what had happened, and asked him if he wanted to hang out sometime. He then proceeded to tell me that he had not been able to get me off his mind since the dance, and would love to see me again as soon as he could.

I never thought I was going to end up with my best friend’s homecoming date. A year and a half later Brent and I are still together, and things couldn’t be any better. I’m so thankful for the curveball life sent my way that day. If I wouldn’t have made the best of the time I had with Brent that night, we might not of had the strange connection that we did. That night I like to think that fate was definitely on my side.

I hope to have a long life ahead of me, one filled with curveballs. I’m learning to accept whatever life throws my way, and just do my best to make the most of it. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow once said, “Be still, sad heart, and cease repining; Behind the clouds the sun is shining; Thy fate is the common fate of all, Into each life some rain must fall, Some days must be dark and dreary.” Although fate isn’t always on our side, it makes the times that it is all the better.