The Function of Colors

Lalee - Northfield, Minnesota

I believe in colors.

A year ago, I went to Lake Kariba with my class. We slept on sailboats and could see the sunrise and the sunset for the five days we were there. After having a wild water fight on our sailboats, my friend Hannah and I decided that we should watch the sunset. We stayed on our sailboat while rest of our class was on land making dinner. I was extremely hyped up and excited to see the sunset on Lake Kariba; however, as soon as the sun began to set, the energy in my body disappeared and suddenly I stared at the sunset peacefully. The beautiful mix of orange, yellow, blue, purple, and pink made us unwind, lighten up and think about the things in life that never occurred to us. They made us change the mood around us by making it too comfortable and too relaxed.

I realized how colors can communicate emotions when I painted a valentine poster for my boyfriend, Sean. I did not know what to do, but I knew I wanted to create an abstract heart. I thought to myself, how am I going to paint an abstract heart? I was confused for a while until my good friend told me to use powerful colors to describe my love for Sean instead of painting a heart. I was confused because how can one describe love using colors? So, I applied spontaneous colors on the poster using my finger tips. I just followed my emotions that dashed through my mind while I was thinking Sean. Blue, red, yellow, green, purple, indigo and many other colors intertwined with each other. I was happy; happy because as I carefully analyzed the poster, my love for him was portrayed and I couldn’t think of anything better that would come close to describe that emotion.

The next day, I took my love on the paper and gave it to Sean. He was speechless and amazed. I saw his blue crystal sparkling eyes looking at the poster as if he had never seen these colors in his life. He grabbed me and pressed me against his chest. I felt his warmth, he felt my warmth. Not only did the colors communicate my love for him, but also the love we have for each other.

Colors can change my mood and communicate my emotions. This I believe.