Laughter is the Best Medicine

Mackenzie - Santa Rosa, California

I believe that laughter is the best medicine. It can cure almost any emotion that our minds go through. Emotions such as depression, anger, sorrow, and grief, can be cured by laughter, or even a simple smile.

When I laugh with my friends, I have no other cares in the world because my mind is filled with joy and spontaneity. Whenever I am down, my friends always know the perfect way to cheer me up. All they have to do is tell a funny inside joke, do something stupid to make me laugh, or even just smile in my direction. When I was a sophomore in high school, I was depressed all the time because everything seemed to be going wrong. My grades were slipping, I lost my starting position for soccer, and my mom and dad were always fighting. It all piled up on me at once and I did not know how to handle it. My friends saw how upset I was and they decided to cheer me up. At school, they started dancing and singing around me and were making goofy animal noises. I could not help but smile and laugh at there insanity. It is amazing how quickly my emotions changed from miserable to blissful. It literally took a few seconds for me to forget about my troubles and feel better about myself.

Laughter is something that many people take for granted. Someone once told me that people who laugh everyday actually lose weight and live longer lives. Since laughter makes a person happier, life is more enjoyable to live. I laugh everyday and I do not know where I would be in life without laughter because most of my day consists of laughing with my friends. I would be lost without the fun and ridiculous inside jokes that my friends and I share, jokes that no one else in the world would understand. It makes me happy to know that I have people around me who know exactly how to make me feel better.

I believe that laughter is a cure for any emotion. Laughter is something that can brighten anyone’s day, even if it is for only a few moments. It is these few moments that drive us to live our lives to the fullest.