I Believe In Success

Tim - Salt lake City, Utah
Themes: work

I believe that the Idea of being a successful person is different for everyone. My personal philosophy of success used to be what I would see on television, like the things on MTV, or what showed up on my computer after school every day. I would see this everywhere I looked and when I was younger I thought these people were successful. To some of my friends these people have reached the highest level of success. All I need to do is look at them and see the fast cars and the pretty people and it’s easy to believe that these people are very successful.

For me the idea of being a successful person is the opposite of all the things I see around me. For me I don’t think you need to have a big house, nice cars and millions of dollars. But if you want to be in the public eye, all this stuff can help you. But I have learned you don’t need to be in the public eye in order to be successful.

I know that successful people like to share to you why they are successful. I read “The Power of One” and there were people who would share with Peekay the secrets of their success, which helped him change his attitude from one about failure to one that was successful.

I know a married couple who are very successful. They own the KOA Campground in Cannonville, Utah, right near Bryce Canyon. To give you an idea about how big Cannonville is, when the campground is full, it holds three times the population of Cannonville. John and Marsha looked like they had all the success in the world a few years before they moved to Cannonville. They had two boys and they lived all over the world working and playing. They realized that they weren’t happy with what they were doing in their lives. So they decided to move to Cannonville. Over the last nine years I have watched them build the campground together and work on bringing people from all over the world to their place. Both of them were involved in local things. John is now in charge of the program that has made Highway 12 in Southern Utah one of the most beautiful roads in America. And Marsha collects oral histories for the historical society.

These people are successful because they have made a difference that they can see and all the people around them see and appreciate. As part of the success they have improved themselves and improved the lives of the people who come in contact with them. They don’t look back and regret very often. They are always looking ahead to make another point in their lives where they make a difference. I think their lives are about making a difference. And I believe that if you can make a difference like they have, then no matter how much money you have, you are still very successful.