The Passing of Abilities

Mark - Rosemount, Minnesota

I believe in passing on my abilities to others. Whether it be a talent, thought, or emotion, I think that it is important and meaningful to both the giver and receiver. I found out my freshman year in high school that it was definitely a worth-while experience, and that is when this belief became apart of my life.

Being able to pass on a talent that you have to another person is a gift that should be given over and over again. Having the willingness to teach others how to play a sport or be a more generous person is very important and special to the people who want to learn. They can learn a certain technique or idea that interests them or that makes them better at what they want to improve or know. It also helps your own well being. Just knowing that you created that trait in someone or taught them a certain move, kind of makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

When I was 6 years old, I was in the youth basketball program of my town. The Boys varsity coach, and some of his players helped run fall clinics every weekend and five different weeks of summer camps. I was taught the game of basketball at those camps and clinics. I went to each camp and clinic, every year

In high school, I became part of the teaching. I taught kids how to dribble, how to pass, and how to shoot. I was even asked to teach private lessons to some kids and teams. I remember one kid, very shy and quiet, had come to me because he wanted to get better and even though he didn’t show it, he was very determined. I would work with this kid on his dribbling, his shooting, and his stamina. I had this kid doing some drills that I was doing as a varsity player. He never complained and he never quit on me. I remember one day I was approached by some parents from that one boy’s middle school team and they told me how well he was doing. It was the best feeling in the world to know that I had helped someone improve their skills.

As I look back and remember the improvement I saw first hand from the kids I had helped, I feel good. The way that I feel about what I accomplished through them is something I can‘t even begin to describe. Helping people become better at something creates a special feeling inside you that will last a lifetime. As I walked away that day I was confronted by the boy I had helped I thought to myself, that if I did that, if I helped create that player, if I helped him achieve his goal of becoming better, then I did my job. Because I truly believe in passing on my abilities to others.