The Power of Family

Amy - Muncie, Indiana

I believe in the power of family. The bond and the strength of a family is something that can never be broken. My family has never let me down and has always been the biggest support in my life. My family is constantly being put to the test, and in 2005 I was faced with the biggest challenge of my life. The night I lost my best friend of eleven years, I found out just how much they meant to me. My dad had mustered the strength to not only tell me that she was not only coming back but also to hold me before I could collapse. My mom had only my best interest in mind as she kept me healthy making sure I ate because I would easily forget I hadn’t all day. They never gave up on me; my parents are the reason I got through the hardest years of my life. There are days, weeks and even months I don’t remember, and I have no idea how I functioned. Even then they were there for me through it all and showed me just how much they loved and cared about me.

My parents are my closest friends and I can talk to them about anything. They are the ones who will never leave my side. After everything that has happened our relationship has grown tremendously and I know they will always be there for me. Going through a major tragedy I have learned that I find out who really matters in life and they are forever irreplaceable. I know now that no matter what comes my way I will be able to get through it. In addition to members of my immediate family, I have found a great group of friends that have proven will always be there for me and that I can trust them with anything. We have been through everything together; their support at my side proved to me they are the kind of friends you only find once in a lifetime. They providing me with the hope that I would one day again prosper socially, a task my parents were not in a position to do. This elite group of friends helped my parents to hold me up, and push me through life one day at a time.

In conclusion, I have been faced with a lot of big challenges; however, I have been blessed to have these people in my life. They have molded me and made me into who I am, and I believe I am a better, stronger, and more optimistic person because of them.