Smelling the roses

Cortlynd - Heber, Utah
Themes: purpose

Have you ever heard someone say, “Take time to stop and smell the roses”? I hear that almost every day, and I have come to realize that I need to slow down, and take time to notice the small important things that can’t be seen if you move through life too quickly. Some people fly through life without a second thought. Later however, they regret not taking time to notice the little things. In this lifetime there are many wonderful and exciting things that can happen, but if we don’t take the time to stop and see what is going on around us we might miss out on many of those wonderful things.

I believe that we should enjoy life instead of running through it at top speed. So many times we just want something over and done with; we hurry through it, and don’t take time to notice the little things that we gain by doing it. Many people I know rush through life trying to make as much money as possible before they die, without ever noticing anything else. Many people try to rationalize by saying that there will be time for fun later, but when later finally comes the moment has passed an it is too late to enjoy what was missed, leaving you wondering what might have happened.

Although I believe that we should have fun in our lives, I also believe that we shouldn’t have too much fun. While some people rush through life, others take too much time to have fun, and they don’t get things done that need to be done. I believe that moderation is needed in all things. This means that while we should not rush through life, working and making money without having any enjoyment; we should also not spend our lives having fun and partying.

I believe that while we need to take things slowly and not rush through them, we shouldn’t go too slow, stopping for unimportant things that aren’t needed. Don’t do things you will regret later in life, this includes rushing through life, AND moving too slowly through it. Take the time to stop and smell the roses, but don’t lean down so far you get stung by a bee.