I Believe In Everyone Having The Right to Stand Up For Themselves.

Breanna - USA

I believe that everyone should be able to stand up for themselves and voice their beliefs and opinions with no harm in doing so. Everyone should recognize their beliefs and opinions, and not be afraid of doing so. That is what makes a person who they are. Whether your friends get mad or choose to disagree with you that should not matter. If you are that single soul who believes in different morals and knows right from wrong, stand up for them. Everyone is not always going to agree with you and if people get mad and choose not to be your friend, they were not a true friend to begin with. I know it sounds childish but these types of things occur quite often in high school. I know something to this effect happened to me throughout high school twice.

I was friends with two girls for a long time who one day decided to make fun and laugh at every person they saw at school that day who was not like them. They may have been less wealthy, handicapped, or simply just did not fit in. I view those actions as rude, immature, and inappropriate. I was taught to treat everyone the same no matter what they looked like. I believe God created all people equal and He created them for a reason. It was later that day when I felt I had heard enough. I said something to the effect of, “Girls this is wrong and think about if someone was to hear you. What would you do if that person you were bashing was to walk up behind you and hear all the mean things you were saying about them? What if it happened to you? How would you feel?” They had no response and thought I was acting completely ridiculous. The next few days I had not talked to them. Those few days turned into weeks and months. Apparently ‘my friends’ could not handle me sticking up for myself and voicing my beliefs.

That forced me to become friends with another girl who is still by my side today. We saw everything and still do see everything eye to eye. Now it was the two of us, becoming friends with another group; you know how cliquey high school is. Things just work in that way. It took about a year for me to figure out these girls were exactly the same. When I began hearing rude comments and the making fun of other people conversations I knew they were not who I should be hanging out with. My one friend who saw the same thing I did agreed. We chose to separate ourselves from them in the nicest way possible.

Simply, I believe in people having their own beliefs and opinions and standing up for them. You are your own person and should do what makes you happy. Find true friends who will always be by your side. That is the best thing in life.