A Girl’s Best Friend

Jamie - Salt Lake City, Utah

I believe that a dog is not only a man’s best friend but it’s a girl’s too. It all started back in the year 2001, when my dad asked my brothers’ and I what we want for Christmas that year. My older brother Jason wanted a WWF action figure, my little brother wanted a toy car, and I wanted a dog. I thought that my dad would never get me one because my mom hated dogs ever since she got bit by one when she was a little girl. A couple of weeks after, I received a phone call it was my mom telling me to go outside and help her with the groceries. I ran outside and saw my mom and my mom’s friend holding what seemed like a statue, but really it was a puppy. He had big brown eyes, black ears, a wrinkly forehead, and a white fur coat. She handed him to me I looked at him in disbelief. I thank my mom and hurried inside to show my brothers. They were excited as much as I was. We sat around wondering what we should name him. I thought of calling him Snowball but we didn’t all agree on it. By older brother said, “Let’s call him Bubba.” I looked at him and said he looks like a Bubba.

We played with him in till it was dark. I put him on my bed and we snuggled close, as soon as I closed my eyes I heard him snoring almost as loud as my dad. I laughed and closed my eyes again and prayed, I thank God for giving me this amazing present. The next morning I woke up to find my puppy whining, I figured he wanted to get down, and as soon as I put him down he left me a present. I looked at it and got mad but he looked at me with his big brown eyes and he convinced me it was by accident. I took him outside and he ran, ran with joy. From that day on I had a new best friend who was loyal and caring. He was always there for me when I was having a bad day, or when I just needed a smile. He would look out the window and bark at any stranger he saw. Everyday after school I rushed home to play with him. I learned a lot about him, I learned that he loved to eating and pee.

I never knew how much I cared about him until he got lost. I went outside and couldn’t find him anywhere. My dad and I went out looking for him calling his name but had no luck. I kept thinking, what if something bad would happen, I cried that whole night. The next morning I woke up extra early and found him sitting by the door. I smiled and hug him, I never found out where he was but glad he was back. I told my aunt about what happened so she took Bubba to get a microchip inside him, so that if it would happen again we would find him.

My brother and I took him to the park to see how he would act around other dogs. He loved to smell other them and play with them, he would make friends and so did I. He got excited every time we went. Every time I see him happy he makes me smile. I don’t know what I would do without him. I believe my dog is the best things that ever happen to me and my family.