Little Things Matter, Too

Margaret - Fayetteville, New York

You hold the door for someone, tell someone please or thank you, or help someone when it wasn’t asked for. I love when people tell me that I made their day, or that something I did was greatly appreciated. That’s why I believe that the little things in life are the most important.

Little things such as answering the phone politely, saying please and thank you or just saying hello to someone you don’t usually talk to are little things, but they recognize people and make them feel respected and good about themselves. Kind little things like these are gestures that can turn someone’s day around and make it better.

Over the summer I worked at a program called Camp Good Days and Special Times. I remember every day that I would go, the kids would be so happy and excited to see you, like you were their new best friend. Taking a little time out of my day to be with these kids made them feel happy and cared about. All this occurred because I took the time to play with them.

Each counselor was assigned one child to watch for each day. I was assigned a little girl. Each day, I got there before she did and I waited for her to come. On one of the days, she walked in the door and ran right over to me screaming my name and then gave me a big hug. I knew that she was happy simply because I was there. In return, I was happy too because she was so excited to be with me.

Not all actions have to be major. Every time I go to my grandma’s house I take her trash down to her garage. It’s merely two flights of stairs but a difficult task for her to do. This gesture makes life easier for her, and shows her simply that I care. Even though this act is so small, it is greatly appreciated.

Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone took a few minutes out of his or her day to do something kind, or make someone else feel good? Who knows what impact that could have on the world? People work so hard to make grand gestures or to do big things for other people, when along the way they can mess up the little things and wreck a person’s day. Take the time to look at the little things in life and perform small acts for other people.