Samantha - SlC, Utah

This I believe. I believe that music brings a family together. Whether it’s a birthday party with the Gap Band singing Burn Rubber on Me in the back round or it’s at a funeral with Mariah Carey singing Bye Bye in the back round; we are there together as a family supporting one another.

I remember when I was five or six years old my family and I went on a road trip to visit some relatives in Roosevelt and on the way there my dad decided to turn up the radio which was playing Get Down on It by Cool and the Gang. My whole family started to sing and dance in their seats and that is when I realized music brings my family together. We were coming together as a family and making memories that I will never forget.

Like all other families, my family has something we do when we all get together it can be a boxing match on T.V., a wedding or even after a football game. We slip in the oldies CD’s and we start singing and dancing along with it. This to me is family time. Ever since I can remember my family would do this.

I remember this one time me and my family were at my Nina’s house listening to the radio and a song came on that we all liked so my family jumped up out of their seats and started to sing and dance to that song. I remember this moment because this was the first time I participated in this family function. I believe in passing this tradition down to my younger family members so that they can one day realize that music is family. This is why I taught my younger cousin to sing The Roof is on Fire or how she pronounces it The Woof is on Fire.

This I believe. I believe in music and the message it sends to people. In all parts of my life whether it is mass, school, or at home I have had music there to comfort me and in all the major events that had happened to me I’ve had music to bring my family together to celebrate them with me. The one song that sends a message to me about my family is the song by Al Green, Lets Stay Together. When it says; “ Lets stay together, lovin you weather times are good or bad, happy or sad” sends me the message that no matter what situation your family member gets into you are always there to support and get them through it and most important still love them.

I believe in the power of music.