A Smile Can Brighten Anyone’s Day

Jacqueline - El Paso, Texas

What happens when you feel the first instance of joy? That’s right a smile splashes onto your face. I believe that everyone should smile and give or receive a hug everyday. I believe in that because I think it gives everyone a warm feeling inside and it makes anyone’s day brighter. A simple hug from any random person can help to self motivate a person.

A hug is to show a person you care and want to help make their day brighter. It’s wondrous what a hug can do. A hug can cheer you when you’re blue a hug can say, “I love you so,” or, “I hate to see you go.” A hug is “Welcome back again.” and “Great to see you! Where have you been?” A hug can soothe a small child’s pain and bring a rainbow after rain. A hug delights warms and charms; it must be why God gave us arms. Hugs are great for fathers and mothers, Sweet for sisters, swell for brothers; and chances are your favorite aunts love them more than potted plants. A hug can break the language barrier and make your travel so much merrier. No need to fret about your store of me; the more you give, the more there are of me. So stretch those arms without delay and give someone a hug today!

The same can come from a warming smile; a smile can easily tell a person “Hello.” Most people understand that communication can be transmitted through written word and speech. Books, magazines, letters, satellite, television, videos, computers, radio, the Internet, email and cell phones are vital tools used to relay such communications. However, the smile is one of the strongest communication tools, and many spend their entire lives not knowing how to properly use it. Does this include you? Are you missing out on sharing your smile with family, friends and schoolmates, and, in turn, causing friction in your relationships with them? If so, by practicing this one simple gesture, you can improve your communication skills, and begin helping others around you feel appreciated. The desire to be liked actually drives many young people to do things they would not normally do. This sometimes causes them to give in to negative influences-peer pressure-often resulting in hurt feelings and emotions. However, it is natural for people to want others to care for them. Simply stated, everyone wants to be accepted-and a smile will help you help others feel this way. A smile expresses joy, happiness and friendliness, and offers insight to the inner workings of the mind, such as intentions, emotions, feelings and attitudes, as well as demonstrating warmth, empathy and cooperation. Think back to all the miserable faces you see on the way to school or work each day. These hollow stares and “sour-puss” faces reflect dissatisfaction and unhappiness, almost as if they were headed to a torture chamber! These expressions reflect a negative and rebellious attitude, and many teens are trapped in this mentality! Has anyone ever unexpectedly smiled at you when you were having a bad day or weren’t in the best of moods? How did it make you feel? Didn’t it make you feel better? A picture is worth a thousand words. So also does a smile convey more emotion than words can? Smiling makes others feel welcome, special and appreciated. You can brighten up someone’s day.

A smile has the power of melting away insecurities and troubles people may have. “None are so rich or mighty that they can get along without it, and none are so poor but are richer for its benefits. It creates happiness in the home, fosters good will in a business, and is the countersign of friends. It is rest to the weary, daylight to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad, and nature’s best antidote for trouble. Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed, or stolen, for it is something that is no earthly good to anybody till it is given away. So I say smiling and a hug can and will brighten a person’s day. I have had one of those days’s where nothing in life seems to be going right, but then my best friend saw me and flashed me a smile and I felt a little better. Then she gave me a hug and I felt so relieved. So next time you go around flash random people a smile it will give them a little moral support.