I believe in family

Ernesto - Las Cruces, New Mexico

I am a person who believes in a lot of things. I believe in things such as helping others, higher education, and staying true to your word. The one thing that I believe most in is family. A great family is the foundation for a great life. I have learned a lot from my family over the years, but the most important thing I have learned is that they will never leave my side.

Towards the end of my sophomore year I wanted to stop going to college and just give up on my future goals. Having to balance my full-time job, my part-time job, and take on a full-time school schedule finally got to me. All I did was work, attend class, and very rarely sleep. My family had noticed this, and they knew how much going to college meant to me. After all, I’m the only one of my siblings who attends college. My family came to my apartment the week before finals with one of the biggest surprises I have ever had in my life.

I remember we were all having dinner when my dad said that I was not going to drop out of college. In turn, I started explaining why I was not going and before I could finish he told me that my next semester was paid for. My family had all pitched in and paid for my semester. On top of that, my dad had pre-paid my rent for that upcoming month.

Like I said, I have learned a lot from my family. They are responsible for the person I have become. A person who knows how to treat other people and does not take anything for granted. A proud person who believes in himself, and I believe in myself because I believe in my family.