I believe in hard work

Krystle - Aberdeen, Idaho
Themes: work

When I was twelve years old I had a bad job. I grew up on a potato farm where hard work is expected from everyone. It took me along time to learn the lesson of the importance of hard work. I’m the youngest in my family. I was the little princess. I relied on everyone for everything until the fall of 2001. I believe in hard work.

In the small town of Aberdeen, Idaho the students get out of school for two weeks to help the farmers harvest the potatoes. I was given the ever-dreaded job of picking clauds. I would take my position in my cubical outside a potato cellar down Pleasant Valley Road, out in the middle of nowhere. As I stood there, I would watch the endless belt of potatoes pass by as I picked out the rotten, mice bitten potatoes. I had to stand up for fourteen hours with only a half an hour lunch for a break. I remember praying that a machine would break down just so I could sit and rest my legs. Some days it would get so cold, almost unbearable, with the crazy Idaho weather one never knows what to expect. Some days it would rain and snow, causing the temperature to drop, and the hairs inside your nose to freeze. I would bundle up wearing three sweatshirts, a giant ski coat, earmuffs and two pairs of gloves. The work was long and hard.

A couple of weeks after harvest all of my family got together at my grandparents’ house for family home evening. I was sitting by my cousins, not really paying much attention, when something my grandpa said caught my attention, “Work is play and play is work and don’t you be forgetting it, because you’ll be doing it ninety-nine percent of your life.” My grandfather was right. Work is something I will have to be doing all of my life, so I need to get use to it and start enjoying it.

The next year at harvest my goal was to try and make the job enjoyable no matter what. That year I worked with my friends, Tiffany and Amanda. We decided to make up songs to help the day go faster. Songs like, “I like big potatoes and I cannot lie…”, and every year after that harvest became a little bit easier, and I actually had fun.

Ever since then I’ve dedicated myself to working hard at everything I do and really earning what I work for. I feel so good when I finally accomplish something I’ve worked hard for. Weather its getting a good grade on a test, because I’ve studied hard for it, or making a job like picking clauds during potato harvest enjoyable. I’ve learned how important hard work is and how much it can bless a person’s life. I believe in working hard.