A Close Encounter of the First Kind

David - Orlando, Florida

A Close Encounter of the First Kind

I believe that the best way to learn to appreciate what you have is to come inches away from losing it.

You begin to think about what your life would be like without that thing or person. As my brother, Michael, was stopped in the front of the turn lane, he began to realize there was a Ford Explorer tumbling down the wrong side of the road at over 80 MPH. There was only a split second for him to react, and all he could do was try to move his body out of the path of the vehicle.

Just as the Explorer hit the car, my brother quickly leaned over the center console to avoid being hit directly. The truck hit the driver’s side of the car directly, totaled it, and continued down the street with two flat tires. The Explorer hit a few other cars before witnesses chased him down in their cars and surrounded him. My brother was trapped in the mangled frame of what use to be a Pontiac Grand Prix. This was such a close call, that the police said if the driver of the Explorer hit him an inch further towards the middle of the car, my brother would most likely be dead.

When this happened, I started thinking about things I’ve never thought of before. I started thinking about how different my life would be if he died that day. When somebody like a family member is almost lost, you begin to realize how important they actually are and what you would do if you lost them. I still do not know what I would have done if I lost my brother that day, its just so hard to comprehend. Ever since this day I drive around cautiously waiting for a drunk driver to come down the wrong side of the road at me, threatening my life. It is not a very good feeling, and once it happens to somebody close to you, you’ll know what it’s like

Even though that day will stick with me forever, I still go on living my life like I always have. Nobody can tell just by looking at me, that I almost lost my brother to a drunk driver. I know, and I live my life just like anybody else.