Everlasting Friendship

Randy - Biloxi, Mississippi

True friendships are quite difficult to come by and to fully appreciate. A true friendship cannot be just any friendship, but a friendship transcending time, distance, and problems in life. I have two friends who would fit underneath that “true friendship” criteria. I would know it to be true because I have a friendship and friends that cannot be ever forgotten.

One of my best friends is Mark, and he is like a brother to me. My other best friend is Tina, and she is like a sister to me. The bond between Mark, Tina, and I is so strong that it practically makes us family. We all shared so many good memories and experiences together. It doesn’t matter if those experiences are bad or good. For example, I used to be a bully of a sort in grade school and I would do all kinds of mean things to my classmates. That part of my life is like a story of the past to me, but I wouldn’t share the details of it with most people. That isn’t the case with my true friends. Actually, I can laugh it off with Tina and Mark.

Distance also has no effect on a true friendship. For example, over the last 11 years we’ve been separated two times with hundreds of miles between us. That made no difference to us because we know that we will see each other some day with no doubt, and we will be friends even if we do not see each other anymore. Happily, they were able to visit my family and me on occasions even though it was for a short time. Usually with distance, any relationships, with the exception of family, true friends, and true love, slowly dwindles and ends.

Currently, Mark and Tina are both living near Jackson which is three hours away. We have to use instant messenger or text messaging to keep in touch most of the time. Even if we use technology instead of talking face to face, we can share our problems and do our best to help each other out. I wish we could live close by so we can see each other more often. It shouldn’t bother me because I know without a doubt that we will be close in heart, if not distance, for the rest of our lives. That is what a true friendship is all about.