Attitude Matters

Molly - Lincoln, Nebraska

I believe everything depends on your attitude. The way your day progresses, the problems you encounter, and the way you treat others all reflect on your attitude. There is a purpose to every mistake, every wrong turn, and to every stroke of luck. Some people, when going through hard times, tend to keep their focus on the problem. They never even stop and realize that most often, something good is just around the corner.

Outcomes all depend on the way you view them, like the question of the glass being half empty or half full. There are those people that are always pessimistic; everyone knows somebody like that. They are negative about every situation and are constantly complaining about things just like “Oscar the Grouch” on Sesame Street. Then there are those that are optimistic; bubbly cheerleaders and Mr. Rogers come to my mind first. Thinking positively helps you to gain a new look at problems. The reason for a car accident may be to help someone gain a stronger faith or to get closer to their families. The reason for an economic crisis may be for the government to change their policies to something better. The outcomes of situations all depend on your attitude and the perspective you put on the problem and solution.

In my life, I always try to view the “glass as half full,” and look at things positively. A good example I can personally vouch for is going through a bad breakup. At the time, it was really hard for me to look on the bright side, considering my heart had been shattered by the man I thought was my true love. However, through all of the arguing, I kept my chin up and soon realized how much better of a guy I deserved. It boosted my self-esteem, and I grew stronger and more independent as a person. So, even in the worst days of my life, something good still sprung up out of nowhere to surprise me.

Something I am known for among my friends is that I am always smiling. Smiles and hugs are some of the best tools to improve someone’s day. When I walk in the hallways in my college dorm, and see a person with their head down low, I hug them and ask what’s wrong. If you aren’t the hugging type of person, smiles can mean just as much. Smiling is very contagious and I guarantee if you smile at someone, they’ll almost immediately smile back. It happens to me all the time.

There are plenty of problems and trials in this world. It can be hard to stay happy all the time, and to keep a positive outlook, but I think it’s well worth it. Attitudes change the way we think and feel about others and ourselves. It shapes and molds us into the people we are. It is a part of every minute of our lives, and is constantly changing.

I believe everything depends on our attitude, especially life.