I Believe in Environmental Conciousness

Thomas - las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: environment

I believe that everyone on our planet should be environmentally conscious of their surroundings . This should entitle people to be aware of the impact we cause on our environment, and recognize the impact our environment has upon it’s people. As I am more educated on a regular basis about issues concerning my environment, I feel I need to take an individual stand and make an effort toward being environmentally conscious.

From a very young age growing up in Los Angles, California I knew nothing of waste departments or recycling. I had not a care as I was in angelic ignorance at such a young age about the earth I lived on. When I was 8 years old my Dad decided to move the family to northern New Mexico. It was such a drastic change from a major city to a small town and the drive to my new home state was the first experience I can remember that made me think about society’s impact on our environment and planet earth today. On a particular fall day’s drive through the Grand Canyon state of Arizona, the van we were traveling in suddenly jumped as the back tire blew. As we pulled off on to the shoulder my Dad suddenly began to start yelling about something. As he got out of the van to fix the tire, we noticed a bag of trash that we had hit while moving off to the side of the road, scattered everywhere. My father quickly changed the tire and had me re-trace the shreds of rubber from the blow-out and to pick up the scattered remains of the garbage as well before we left. My father had told me we were to leave no trash from ourselves, or anyone, in such a beautiful place. To me at the time it was the middle of nowhere on a cold miserable day, but as I look back today I can remember being at the rim of the canyon on a beautiful, chilly day. It truly took me long enough for me to grow and become more educated about my environment and surroundings today, but now is it ever more important that everyone is aware that their personal daily lives make an impact on our surroundings.

Another occasion that happened recently that made me change me beliefs about being strongly environmentally conscious came upon me on a backpacking trip I had taken to the Gila Wilderness. It was a late summers’ Friday and I had just ended my long day of work and headed strait for the mountains that night. After a two and a half hour drive I finally arrived in full darkness to sent up my tent with a flashlight. As I woke up the next morning I packed my gear for the six mile hike. It was about two miles into my hike when I came upon beer cans lining the trail sides. I was stunned and in disbelief and understood now more than ever how my dad felt that day in Arizona. I picked up the cans and continued my hike.

I came to a strong personal reflection that really made me change my beliefs about being a tree hugger, and hippy and other stereotypical names that one would call an environmentally conscious person. I can relate to these stereotypes of people now because they are the ones, such as myself, who take care of such special places; places that I leave my everyday life as much as possible to go to and get away from societies trash. This made me believe everybody needs to take a stand.