Butterfly Effect

Micah - Maple Grove, Minnesota

According to the chaos theory, something as small as the flutter of a butterfly’s wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway across the world, and I believe that this is true. If I look back on all the events in my life it is unbelievable how I got where I am today or where I could have gone. I believe that in life, events happen for a reason to test you.

It was late August, some refer to it as the dog days, with the sounds of shoulder pads hitting, whistles blowing and the smell of freshly mowed grass I could sense that this was the beginning of football season. This Sunday afternoon seemed to be more humid than the other days that week. Today was the day of traveling football try-outs for my town, and I had hopes and aspirations of being apart of this team. During the drills I could feel the heat radiating of my skins as the tryouts went along. Sweat ran down my face from the hair under my helmet, we were nearing the end of the try-out and I was as nervous as I’ve ever been. Once the coaches called everyone over I knew that this was the moment that we figure out if we made the team. My number was 78 and I was anticipating hearing the coaches say my number so that I would know that I made the team. “45, 72, 53, 90, 24, 35, 63, 23,44, 89, 96.…”. My number was never called, and it must have been a mistake, but I checked the sheet and I in fact did no make the team.

After this happened I was greatly sadden, because I thought that I was no good at football because I failed to make the team. The following year I decided to make sure I made the team next, and show the coaches that they had made a mistake in not selecting me for their team. I worked harder than I have before, and it paid off because I made the team the next year. After making the traveling team I did not stop working hard because I still had a chip on my shoulder, and felt that I still need to prove myself even more. And yet again the hard work paid off because in my sophomore year of high school I acquired a starting spot on the varsity football team which we were undefeated in the regular season and won the conference championship. This was a big honor to be part of this team because I was one of two sophomores who played on the varsity team this year.

I believe that certain events in your life help shape you into the person you are today, and into a better person than you were yesterday. When I was going through tough times it feels as though nothing is going right. Looking back on this memory I feel that by getting cut it actually made me work harder and not get complacent and take anything for granted. I am glad I could experience earlier in life rather than later.

I believe that everything happens for reason, reasons that you might not understand at the time, but make sense later in life. Theses events in my life have really changed who I am and what I am going to become, and I can trace this back to one sunny August afternoon, where I failed to accomplish my goal. This I believe is my flutter of the butterfly’s wings.