We Have the Power

Emily - Fayetteville, New York
Themes: humanism

Every moment of every day is filled with decisions. Some may seem simple, like deciding to eat an apple instead of a pear. Others are more complicated, and take more than an instant to process. Regardless of the importance of the decision, it is our choices, no matter how seemingly insignificant, that shape not only who we are as individuals, but who we are as a human race.

I believe that humanity is looking through a kaleidoscope. Various patterns fill each slide. Some leave us with a scene of happiness, a message of hope. Others are filled with darkness and despair. Each day, we look out at this image, each individual with a different vantage point. We each interpret the shapes and colors that compose each slide in different manners. But the overall picture is the same. As we look out at this beautiful, terrifying image, we see objects we recognize, and others that baffle us. This is what we base our decisions on; this is what enables us decide whether to eat the apple or the pear, the images and colors that we see.

In this way, we are constantly surrounded by a cloud of uncertainty. But it is this uncertainty, this unknown that allows the slide of the kaleidoscope to keep spinning, the images to keep morphing into new forms, and that forces us to propel ourselves forward. The decisions that others have made in the past have brought humanity to where we are today. Now, we must bring humanity into the future.

At many points in our lives, it may seem as though the slide is spinning wildly out of control, like the whim of a three year old child controls its movements. At other times, the slide seems to be dictated by an almighty force, an all-powerful God. Like we have no power over its changes. But in reality, we hold the power to shift the slide. We can turn it so quickly that all of the images fall out and shatter, lying broken on the ground. Or, we can neglect our duty to keep turning it forward, and let it spin backwards. Humanity has the power to determine our own fate; our power rests in our decisions. And our decisions determine who we are.

What the human race may not recognize, however, is that we have created this image. Every individual’s actions, decisions, and words add a dot to the slide. On an individual scale, our actions may seem irrelevant to the overall picture, the end result. The absolute opposite is true. Every life, every mind, every action has significance. We have shaped out past. And we will create our future.