Parents are the one’s really cheating in schools

Matthew - Elgin, Illinois
Themes: morality

Only a decade ago in the U.S., education was second to living with and working for your family. A high school education in the early 1900s was as great an achievement as a college education is today. “You know you could be the first one in the family to go to college?” or “It’s my dream to see you graduate college with a good degree,” and “Don’t you want to do well in life?” All of these are common sayings students hear from their parents. With pressures at such extremes on today’s children from their parents and their grandparents to obtain an optimal education, I believe that the students are pressured into falsifying their education with cheating and copying for the sole purpose of pleasing others.

Cheating is extremely common throughout high school. However, it is more likely to occur with excelled students than an average student. Since the parents of honor students have seen their children’s abilities to succeed in high school and college, they set the bar high in hopes of them maintaining their work. With that, the parents put a huge amount of pressure on their kids to do well. As the pressure progresses, the parents add more stress to their children by pushing them even further to find decent jobs in order to make enough money in our dying economy. With the need to receive good grades and earn a providing career, students will find any means necessary to pass their classes with good grades.

I am a high school senior in a gifted and talented academy. Being this “gifted student” I’ve come face to face with all of these pressures myself. I’ve witnessed the smartest kids in my school cheat their way through a tough test because they don’t want to see the look of disappointment on their parents’ faces. I’ve seen kids break down in tears over anything less then an “A” on a test because they have raised the bar so high for themselves that they can’t exceed the same quality of work on every test, every time. I know what it’s like to be faced with the pressures of someone always expecting you to come home with good grades; I have the opportunity to be the first person in my family to attend college. It’s one of the worst feelings to walk into a test I’m unprepared for, especially when it’s a subject that I’m good in. Those are the situations when students sense that cheating will prove a better situation then actually trying their knowledge on the subject. for when I bring home good grades my parents assume I worked hard even though good grades don’t always represent good work due to cheating.

Cheating gets kids through school with good grades but not necessarily good knowledge. The cheaters may even pull better grades then the student who goes through school fairly but in the end, the person who cheats on all their tests, the person who doesn’t actually learn the curriculum doesn’t achieve the same personal satisfaction and knowledge as the true scholar does.