Motivational One-Liners

George - Salt Lake City, Utah
Themes: work

I believe that you can do almost anything if you set your mind to it. All it takes is a little motivation, a lot of hard work and belief in yourself.

Ever since I was a little boy, my grandpa told me that “can’t never did anything”. It means that if you say “I can’t” do something, “I can’t” figure out a problem, “I can’t” fix this or find that, then for sure you won’t be able to. Grandpa meant that you never know what you can accomplish if you say you can’t.

My dad also told me this saying “do not try, but do”. He meant that you shouldn’t say that “I will just try” to do this, but always say that “I will” do this. That way you are more likely to succeed at whatever you are doing.

Both of these sayings have stuck with me for my entire life. They are very important to me. I try to live up to my expectations by using these sayings to motivate me, especially in basketball. Whenever we play a tough team, I always say to myself before going in the game, “can’t never did anything”. I remember my grandpa and I know he will be with me during my games. My grandpa always believed in me and my abilities and this gives me the strength to play hard.

My basketball team never says that we will “try to win.” We say “that when we all play hard and each one of us does our job, then we will win.” Having this type of an attitude can give you an edge over your competition.

These sayings work for your homework and school projects as well. In the time that you spend saying that “it’s too hard” or “I can’t do it” or “I’m trying”, you could be almost done or already finished. One can waste a lot of time making excuses for yourself.

Whenever I’m doing homework that is really hard or time consuming, I just think of what my grandpa or dad would say. Then I’m able to buckle down and work harder. I also think of all the rewards that will come once I’m done.

These two sayings, one from my grandpa the other from my dad, will stay with me for the rest of my life. They are great quotes to incorporate into your life. I wouldn’t be surprised if I tell them to my own children one day.