Watch Out

Kevin - bowling green, Ohio

Believe Essay

I believe that you influence people even when you don’t notice that they are watching.

As an older brother I often try to make sure that I am setting a good example for my younger sister and brother. Growing up my parents have always stressed that my young siblings were watching me and that they want to do what I do.

But I know my brother and sister and they don’t seem like they have any interest in what I do, so I thought. Now that I have graduated from high school and no longer live at home I finally realized that my parents had been right.

I came to this conclusion when I had gone home for a weekend and my sister had left her cell phone in my car. Me being the over protective older brother I looked through her phone, looking at various pictures and reading numerous text messages.

One text message from a girl named Brittany who attended our high school, specially caught my attention. The text message said “I can’t believe my brother is gone, I hope I will be able to get into a good school like him. He’s perfect; I have been studying more lately because I remember he used to spend a lot of time in his room doing homework.” (Kourtnie Iverson). After reading this text message I found myself in tears, I had never known that my sister looked up to me the way she did.

About two weeks later I received a phone call from my little brother. He was calling me to tell me about his first report as a middle school student. I obviously suspected that he had gotten good grades because he thought it was important enough to call me. The surprising news was he asked me if his grades were good enough for him to go to college too. I can still hear his voice when he asked me that. I told him that as long as he was doing his best he would be able to go to any college he wanted to.

Since I have been out of the house I have developed a stronger bond with my younger siblings. I have also learned that every decision I make affects more than just me. But as I look back I am content with the decisions that I have made and I will continue to do my best to be a positive role model.

From this experience I realized that it’s possible that you can affect more than just you siblings and that you should try to set a good example no matter who you’re around. It’s possible to affect your friends, other family members, and also people who spend their time around you. This is why I believe you should set a positive example for everyone who you come in contact with because you influence people even when you don’t notice it.