Family Legacy

Ryan - Park Hills, Missouri

For as long as I can remember my grandpa was telling me that if I did not go to college that my best bet would be to join the navy, but I want to fly. When I graduate high school I am going to join the air force. I am going to carry on his legacy as a military man, just not as a navy man. I believe that one should pick ones own fate, but carry on ones legacy.

I remember that he would tell what it was like on a navel ship, how you always had to be on your toes. He also told what it was like to be a gunner on the ship and get to shoot down Japanese planes in World War II. He also told about all the neat places he got to see while on tour. He also told about the time him and his buddies went into bar, and he got to mouthing a little guy, started a bar fight and got his nose broken by the little guy he mouth off to. So his buddies carried him back to the ship, fixed his nose and put him to bed, until the ship left the next morning for the sea again.

My Grandpa has seen his share of troubles he was raised a poor old farm kid, that had to hunt for his food, and him and his brothers and sisters either had to walk or ride a horse to school. How they didn’t have money foe shoes, that he had to wear his older brothers hand me downs. All his stories have teaching behind them, he has taught me that shoot what ammo I take out to hunt with, and how to farm and plant a garden without technology.

My grandfather’s health is fading fast; he is not able to do as much as he used to do, so he depends on my dad and I to do a lot of stuff for him, like wood his stove, and cut the firewood for him. But no matter how bad his health gets he will still tells the right way to do it. I know when he passes away it will be the hardest on me, cause I’m closer to him, he’s me teacher my friend, and somebody I can talk to when I have a problem at school or with a girl. I love my grand with all my heart and I want to do something in my life to make him proud of me.