Mutual Respect

Charles - Park Hills, Missouri
Themes: respect

For there to be any sort of peace, mutual respect must be present. Many conflicts occur when a person or people think themselves a cut above the rest. No matter what a person’s age, race, sex, religion, or even lifestyle is, they should be treated with equal respect and consideration. We all carry out our own lives as we choose. We all make our own decisions and opinions, and these choices should be respected and left alone if at all possible. Respect should only be lost if one person disrespects another.

Most of the fights I have witnessed arise from feelings of superiority. One such fight involves three of my oldest friends. They are brothers. The youngest is sixteen, the middle is nineteen, and the oldest is twenty-one years old. The oldest brother, like some other older siblings, has a self entitlement as “king of the household” and feels that he is somehow above his younger brothers. He repeatedly talks down to them, and there is only so much a person can take. After too many cocky remarks from the eldest, the younger brothers lost their cool. One thing led to another and eventually the fists started to fly. Before their mother broke it up, her eldest son’s head was being beaten like a drum. The irony of it all is that the mother took her older son’s side. She ignored her younger sons’ explanation and completely relied on her older son’s account, which was faulty to say the least.

This kind of thing happens when a person or his words are held in higher regard to another. I, myself, have experienced this countless times with authority: teachers, parents, law enforcement.

A feeling of superiority usually stems from the many differences people have. Age is definitely a prime example. The old and the young alike ignore each other and dismiss the other’s knowledge as inferior. The wealthy tend to look down at the less fortunate and the less fortunate tend to despise the wealthy. Unfortunately, even religious fanatics sometimes look down on free- thinkers and those of different faiths. It is a fact that differences will always remain, but it is up to the individual to determine how to deal with those differences. Either they except each other and possibly learn from one another, or they continue to scorn each other. I for one choose mutual respect.