Doug - Farmington, Missouri

Could I ever go through life without my best friend?

On January 27, 2007 for the past week I had been asking my mom to get me texting. There was this youth conference coming up so I really was pushing for it. So my mom said, “Go to the youth conference and when you get back we’ll talk about it”. So I went and had the greatest time of my life, and when I got back I was in for the best surprise I could ask for at the time. So there I was just sitting in my recliner at home just watching TV, and all of a sudden my phone went off and it’s a text message saying, “Congratulations you have just now received texting”, and I burst out of my seat screaming, THANK YOU MOM!, and I just start texting everybody I know, and just racking up the text messages. On February 2, 2007, I got a number that would turn out to be the best number I had ever gotten, and would have never thought would turn into being the number of my best friend.

At first she didn’t really know me so the conversations were really short, but one day it all got started from me asking her advice on what I should do to try to go out with this girl I really liked, and I asked her because she’s the best looking girl in school. So I figured she’d have the best advice. Slowly and slowly our friendship just kept growing into what it is today. Our friendship is like no other, we know everything about each other, and basically we know each other’s whole life. It doesn’t matter what were doing or what time of night it is, if it is important or we need to talk we talk it out. To this day one of us has never made the other one mad. If I’m being irate or saying stupid stuff that I don’t mean she knows how to get me to calm down and talk sensibly. The same goes for her. Our friendship is like no other. I couldn’t imagine life without her.

I know that one day we’ll eventually have to separate, either by death or just were life takes us, but I believe that everybody needs a best friend. For right now and hopefully forever I have found mine.