Why would you do that?

Lauren - Park Hills, Missouri
Themes: family, fear

I don’t remember much about my mother and father’s divorce, but when me and my little brother, Jake, used to visit our dad every other weekend, he treated us like he did before the divorce. Then, Angie my dad’s girlfriend came along. Then she got pregnant so they wanted to get married on my birthday, but something happened, and they didn’t. Angie had her baby, she named her Kelsey. Right after Kelsey was born, that was the last me and Jake went to dads house. I’ve only seen Kelsey two or three times.

That night, something happened, that I thought would never happen, I thought he loved us, like he said he did, but he wouldn’t feed us for the longest time, then me and Jake got really hungry, Jake was only about five and I was about eight. All dad did was just lie in the middle of the floor and play video games. Then we finally got him to make us a frozen pizza. It was almost done, dad had a knife in his hand, and ready to cut it as soon as it came out, and me and Jake were so excited. Until dad turned around, and held up that knife to me and Jake because we were arguing. Then we screamed and ran into two different rooms, we knew we couldn’t leave the rooms we were in, because he might hurt us.

I snuck out of the little window, and went to the neighbors, to call me mom, and tell her what was going on, then, she came immediately, and took me and Jake home. I really don’t know what would have happened to me and Jake if I hadn’t climbed out the window to call our mom. On the way home, Jake had to through up, because we haven’t eaten for a long time. So we had to stop on the side of the highway. We still don’t have any contact with him, to this day, I did have his phone number, a couple months back, but then he changed his number. I seen him the other day, after he seen me he got up and walked out. He doesn’t look anything like he did before. Since Angie had Kelsey, dad tells everyone that she is his only child. I would love to talk to him, and ask him Why would you do this to me and Jake?” do you know how hard it was to know that our dad didn’t love us anymore? Its still really hard to think about stuff that me and dad used to do, and I still think about him a lot, when people talk about there dads, and people ask me stuff about my dad, its really hard to say, “I don’t have a dad no more, hi left almost 10 years ago.”