My Happiness

Amanda - Farminton Mo. 63640

I believe that I can remain happy if I smile, laugh, and make peoples day. I never really thought that this little conversation would impact me, let alone an old lady that I would have never thought would take me seriously. On every ending Saturday of the month Central Band Boosters set up a fund raiser at Country Mart to bag groceries. My mother decided to sign me up on Saturday to bag groceries for tips (to my surprise we gathered a lot of money). But I was in a horrid mood, complaining, and on the verge of tears when I had to in. Who seriously wants to do that?

I really didn’t want to do this because I didn’t know who all would be bagging groceries with me. Turns out that the kids that were there, I had never really talked to them before. To make matters better, it was a gloomy day which really just put me in a worse mood. So I started bagging groceries and mentally counting down the minutes until I could leave. I was also cracking a few jokes because nobody was talking, just to hear someone laugh would have lighten up my day just a little bit. It was constantly an ohmigosh awkward silence moment. So here I am making a little chit-chat with customers and then a cute, little, old lady came into my line for bagging. I bagged her few items, and thought to myself that this is an old woman that doesn’t want to talk to anyone because “I’m in a hurry” type. And all of the sudden she goes “thank you” and then said “It is so cold outside.” I was kind of shocked but with my witty mind I replied, “Why yes it is, that‘s why I’m moving to Australia where it is warm.” I thought she would roll her eyes and walk away, but she didn’t. She said, “Oh really? Where to, the sea side or in the middle of Australia?” I seriously wanted to look at her like she was crazy and tell her that I was just joking, but I refrained. I turned to face her and said “Ma’am, I really don’t know, just as long as it’s warm. This is just one of my future plans though.” And you know what she did then? She didn’t donate money (which was fine by me) but she responded. She said, “Well, when do you plan on going?” I said after college, and then she went into a spiel about goals and planning for the future. She said “It is very good to set plans and save money for the future… and you know what? I planned out my wedding and saved money every week until I reached my goal.” We stood there another five minutes with her telling me about setting goals and planning. All the while I stood there shaking my head, saying “why yes,” “I agree,” and “you are exactly right.”

Soon after we bided our fare wells and I started thinking. I was thinking that I probably just made that cute, little, old lady’s day, by just talking to her and keeping a smile on her face. I was also feeling pretty good myself for making the lady’s day and making the cashier laugh. So all in all I believe that happiness for me is to make peoples day, making them smile, or laugh. That is what puts a smile on my face and lets me have a good day, even if it’s a gloomy day.