Who Wants a Drink?

Megan - Fredericktown, Missouri
Themes: addiction

How many times have you been asked if you would like and alcoholic beverage? Do you ever accept? Believe it or not, I am asked quite often. I decline! I decline because I know what alcohol can do to people.

Living and growing up with an alcoholic father, shows me that I really don’t want to have anything to do with alcohol. My dad has a horrible disease, a disease that could potentially end his life, a disease that ended our family: alcoholism.

Ever since I can remember, I have rarely, if ever, seen my dad without a beer. Beginning at sometimes 9:30 a.m., and not ending until late at night, he consumes a LOT of alcohol. He doesn’t realize how much he drinks, but once he starts, he can’t stop. He keeps going back to his cooler for more.

Even though he doesn’t realize it, he has torn our family apart. He and my mom were so happy together. Until it seemed like he loved beer more than us. The yelling began and continued day after day. My mom couldn’t handle dealing with this awful and painful disease anymore. He spoke hurtful words, and she left. I will never forget that moment. I was horrified; our family had fallen apart right before my eyes.

My mom tells me and my brothers and sister that if it weren’t for the drinking, my dad might not be a divorced man. The worst part of his problem is that he doesn’t see how it is his fault. He still blames my mom.

My dad, without the alcohol can be a good guy, but it’s almost as if he has become immune to the drinks. He can’t resist trying something new, and he won’t quit. He doesn’t think about all of the people who love and care about him. He doesn’t think about how he has hurt them either.

Many people have told him that he needs to get help, but he doesn’t think he has a problem. It is extremely hard to hear those words coming from his mouth. The saddest part about having an alcoholic as a father is that I and my family can never forget the hurtful things that he has said, and he can never remember them.

So for all those families who know and love someone with this deadly disease, you’re not alone! Many people die from alcoholism, and I hope that no one ever has to go through this frightening disease, because I have seen the damaging effects alcoholism can cause. Always remember that it only takes one drink to become addicted. The next time you are asked if you would like an alcoholic beverage, what are you going to say?