I Believe that my seat belt saved my life.

Jennie - Park Hills, Missouri

This morning going to school or work did you wear your seatbelt? I have come to believe from a near death experience that I should wear my seatbelt everytime I get in the car no matter how short the drive.

One summer day I went to hang out with my cousin Heather to go to Chuckie Cheese in South County to have some fun. I went home to tell my mom that I was going with Heather. My mom said “Okay have fun, and please remember to wear your seatbelt and I love you.” On the way there I didn’t wear my seatbelt. I told myself, “Who cares. She won’t find out.” We were there for a few hours and had lots of fun. I got in the car for the ride home and had this weird feeling that something bad was going to happen, so I put on my seatbelt. We started home and like 20 minutes into the ride home my Aunt ran a red light and we were hit head on by a truck. Someone who had seen what happened called 911 and the ambulance came and took me to Jefferson Memorial Hospital in Festus. The doctors to me that my jaw was fractured and I had several bruises. The doctors also told me that I was very lucky, and that if I had not worn my seatbelt, or if I would have had the seatbelt on my stomach instead of my hips, that I would have died. They told me if the seatbelt would have been on my stomach it would have crushed my internal organs and I would have bled to death.

Because of this experience anytime I get in the car to drive I don’t leave until everyone has on a seatbelt on. Anytime anyone in my family leaves I tell them “don’t forget to wear your seatbelt if it saved my life it might save yours you never know what can happen when you’re gone.” Now everytime I go for a ride in the car the first thing I do is put on my seatbelt because it has saved my life.