Hunter Safety

Tyler - Farmington, Missouri

Can you imagine waking up early one morning getting ready to go hunting? There is about three inches of snow on the ground. It is just you and your best friend. When you’re out rabbit hunting, hearing the dogs bark it is one of the most amazing things. All of the sudden you shoot and bang, your best friend is dead.

I believe in hunter safety. I believe in hunter safety basically because that was the way I was raised. Since I was a young boy I have always hunted for game. I have also heard many stories in the past about hunting incidents and tragedies. If people would always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction no one would ever have to worry about a hunting incident. Well a few years ago when I started hunting with a firearm. My dad, my best friend, and I went rabbit hunting. It was a calm morning not much going on, just a slight breeze. There was about three inches of snow on the ground which is the best hunting conditions for anything in my opinion.

Well we were having a pretty successful hunt and we had harvested about three rabbits a piece except for me of course, so I was getting pretty edgy. Well as the day went on they kept killing rabbits and I killed maybe two. My dad killed 6 which was his limit so he stopped hunting, and my best friend had killed five.

We started to go back out and hunt because we went back to the camper for a while because we got cold. While we were hunting my best friend was down the fence line from me and I hadn’t been paying much attention. A rabbit ran between the two of use and he didn’t see it. Well like an idiot I shot in his direction and just about shot him. Even though I didn’t shoot him he should have been shot but only god knows why he wasn’t shot by the gun.

That is why I believe in hunter safety. I believe in it because I would never want to kill my best. I strongly recommend that anyone before they carry a firearm should take a hunter safety coarse that will teach someone how to hold a firearm and how to carry a firearm. That is why I believe in hunter safety.