Good Karma

Joseph - Ocala, Florida

You really can’t understand how important it is to help others where you can, until you experience the good karma you’ll receive for yourself. While Helping others, you create good karma. When I was about eighteen years old I suffered from teenage angst. I was living on the streets of Ocala during a cold November with not even enough personal belongings to fill a Jansport backpack. I had it pretty bad, sleeping on bus benches, park picnic tables and huddling up in the bases of trees for warmth. The only thing that I had going for me was my determination to survive without my parents help.

One night while walking up Pine Street I saw an old lady with a walker, trying to unload a desktop computer from her old rusty station wagon. I noticed she was having trouble lifting the boxes and using her walker for support at the same time. As I got closer I shouted out to her “Need some help?”. She replied “no I think I’m good.”. As I was about to pass the Motel, I noticed that she was losing her grip on the box and ran over to her just in time to catch the box before it fell. She thanked me and asked me if I could help her bring in the computer. After getting the last of the boxes out of her car along with some groceries that she had picked up, we got to talking, and I found out that she was running the motel and that her husband was away at work. The computer was an early Christmas gift for him, and she was trying to get it home and set up before he got off work, although she didn’t have the slightest clue on how to set it up. So I offered to help. While I was working, she asked me why I was out so late walking on such a dangerous street. I told her about my life and experience of trying to make it on my own over the past two weeks. She seemed intrigued by my determination to prove to my parents that I could make it on my own without their help.

After about forty five minutes of talking with her, the lady’s husband came home and was surprise to see me. She gave me a glass of eggnog and asked her husband to come to the kitchen with her. After about five minutes went by, they returned. The old lady asked me if I would like to stay in one of the rooms for a week while I straitened my life out. She also purposed a way for me to find work. I could not believe what I was hearing and humbly accepted their offer. I ended up staying there for about a year working 7 days a week and was able to save up some money. Things ever since have been getting better. I guess good Karma really does pay off.