I believe in words

Helaine Giraldeli Balla - Arapongas/Paraná/86708550, Brazil

I believe in words

I believe in words. I learned to contemplate amenably the power they have, like a child who hopes the sky is open and knows that the sun has the power to bring happiness. The words are my sun and when I write, I am free, like a child who runs and plays in the park, living intensely his fate as a children: to be happy.

I love my country! Brazil is wonderful! I’m a teacher of Portuguese at a high school, I work with words, they are the ingredients of my day-to-day. Words are much more than sound; they are senses, they are life. See the power they have! I can spread feelings, beliefs, my truth to people who do not speak the same language as me, but will understand me. The meanings are essentially human. You and I are united and we recognize our humanity. How many people have already lost their ability to live and chosen silence? Without words, life wilts.

It is true that there were words in my life that, many times, brought me tears and injured me before I had any chance of defense. But I learned to believe in words. I discovered that to believe in each “no” that I receive makes me stronger and more confident. We must accept the adversity to “over come” would be better.

Words are angels and demons. Let’s encircle ourselves with angels! I learned that beauty and goodness are in words. You have a beautiful language. To the ears of someone who is not a native speaker of English, there are words that are unforgettably beautiful. Freedom, happiness, passion, smile – I love these words and I hope to have them always in my heart wherever I am.

I believe that words can change the world. It is by them that consciences are transformed. The speeches of peace, tolerance, preservation of nature, solidarity… Let’s repeat these words without ceasing. The words have power; I know, I believe this.

The words do not come back from behind, they are arrows moving toward the target. Sometimes, we will think that we have lost our words to the wind, but no. The words have power. No one is unconnected or untouched by the power of words.

Drummond, one of the greatest Brazilian poets, wrote: “Come closer and contemplate the words. / Each one / has a thousand secret faces under the neutral face / and asks you with, no interest for the answer, / as poor or terrible that you give: / You brought the key?” I learned to contemplate words. For me words are like the sun, the certainty of life. As a child in a park, inebriated in smiles, I contemplate the words and I know that the sun, so beautiful as now, will exist in my life forever.