Will Racism Ever Cease To Exist?

Yesenia - rialto, California

I believe racism will never cease to exist. My definition of racism is of someone believing that their race is superior to others. There are many examples of racism, much from which I have heard from as well as real life experiences. I never felt that the effects of racism affected me in anyway, or would they ever affect me as hard as they did.

My brother, Marlon, was 22 years old when his accident happened. He was on a full ride football scholarship to a university. A couple months before his accident, my brother, spoke with my parents and told them that he was having problems with some of his teammates. Surprisingly my parents never thought anything of it. My parents told him to try to work with them better and not to mind the others. Now, we know that those problems had to do with racial slurs that his teammates would yell to him.

It all began on the afternoon of April 22, 2004. The house was silent, and then out of nowhere my mom walked up to me and said “I have something to tell you.” My mother gave me a hug and told me she and my father had to leave to Virginia for a while. I asked her why; then she responded with, your brother had an accident and he is on life support. At that moment I felt empty. Through my tears I asked my mother how the accident had happened. She just responded that she didn’t know. My parents left later that night, and I didn’t see them again for 6 weeks.

I finally got to speak with my parents after a week, I immediately asked them what had happened and how my brother was. My father answered by saying, “We have to be strong, because your brother is in a coma and we don’t know if he will make it.” then mother went on the phone. I started to ask her questions: How? and Why? She said that some of guys from my brother’s football team had beaten him up and left him in the forest. My brother was found, by a jogger, twelve hours after the incident had occurred. Apparently this happened because he was Hispanic. I suddenly felt the affects of racism, and how it could change my life in the blink of the eye.

It is amazing how others can put someone’s life on hold because of their views. Some years have passed now and I have come to the realization that we as people will come across some others who may not agree with our views but that is what makes us who we are. What they don’t realize is that they don’t only put that person’s life on hold but their families’ too. In the middle of this life lesson my family and I have found good in it; we have all grown closer with one another and for that we are grateful.