Believe In Believing

Alexander - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: hope

I believe in believing. Without anything to believe in, us, the human race, would be nothing more than a complex land dwelling sea anemone, a hunk of organic mass, with no apparent purpose other than to make it to the next day. Belief is what separates us from every other conscious species we have encountered on this small earth, and cannot be defined by words on a paper, or vocalized through any form of speech. To believe in something is much more than saying “This I believe”, or even thinking it for that matter. If you truly believe in something, it’s something you feel, something that you know, something that you live by every day.

These are rapidly changing times for my generation, and in the next 10 to 50 years, myself and my peers must be prepared to make an unprecedented amount of decisions on an endless number of unprecedented issues. I believe that these decisions must be made together, and that we must genuinely believe in what we decide to do. All of us have separate, unique, and powerful beliefs, and we must find a way to simply our individual beliefs in order to envision what we need to do to solidify the promising future that awaits us.

What do I mean when I say simplify our beliefs? Well there are certain things that I believe everyone needs to believe in. There is a part in the movie Second Hand Lions where a young boy is presented with a dilemma after noticing discrepancies in his uncle’s stories and factual evidence. He questions whether or not he should believe the stories of righteousness about his Uncle Hub that he has been told. When confronted, Uncle Hub proceeds to tell the boy:

“Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything… Money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil… That love… True love never dies… Doesn’t matter if it’s true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in.”

These truly are the things that we need to believe in as a country, as a family, and as a world. I believe that all people deep down inside truly do share these beliefs, and we cannot lose sight of them when presented with the challenges that face us. In a time where our cry of hope is “Yes we can” I am boldly going to take that declaration one step further:

“Yes we will.”

For this is what I believe.