I believe in the power to achieve

marisol - montclair, California

I believe in the power to achieve

I used to pass the school hallway, day after day seeing that same sign posted in that same wall. I looked at it wanting it so bad but being so afraid. The sign read “Cheerleading tryouts next Tuesday at 3:00pm in the auditorium.” As I looked at it I thought to myself “should I try or not.” I always thought I wasn’t good enough, or that people would laugh at me because I was so shy and never talked in class. I knew the day had to come when I didn’t care what people thought and showed them I am capable of doing something I liked. So, I decided to go for it and tryout for cheerleading.

Tuesday came around and I was more nervous than I had ever been in my entire life because I did not know what to expect. I just had to deal with it and that was it. As soon as the bell rang for school to be over I could already feel my stomach doing all kinds of flips inside of me. As I walked into the gymnasium I felt like people were looking at me in a weird way but I took a deep breath and just waited for the coach.

As I was waiting around I looked around and saw a girl from my class standing a few feet away from me. At first she was just staring at me and then she started walking towards me. I looked away trying to ignore her. She came beside me and asked me “what are you doing here”? I smiled and said “I’m going to try out.” She looked at me in disbelief and then said “it is just that you are always so quiet in class and you do not speak at all and cheerleaders are not like that at all.” I was not surprised at all by her comment but I just ignored it. Then practice finally started and I tried to concentrate as much as possible even though time went by really fast. Practice finally ended and I felt alone with no friends. So, I decided to try and make friends the next day.

The next day when I got to practice I immediately started looking for people to talk to. I saw two girls and I decided to go and talk to them. The first thing I said was “hey, did you guys practice the routine from yesterday?” From that point on I remember I never felt lonely at practice again. The try out came and I tried my hardest and that made me feel good that I had at least tried. At the end I did end up making the team and I was happy that I tried something and I actually achieved it. Now I know that cheerleaders do not always have to be loud.