Bleeding Green

Karen - West Chester, Pennsylvania
Themes: sports

Bleeding Green

I’m a 46 year old Eagles fan. I believe that being a Philadelphia fan of any sport takes guts and loyalty, but being an Eagle fan takes patience, valium, prozac, and a never dying love of the color green. I have been watching the Eagles since I was six years old. In 1980, as a freshman in college and I watch our quarterback, Jaworski, aka Jerkworski, and the Eagles get our butts kicked by the Oakland Raiders. Again in 2005, we make it to the Super Bowl and this time the quarterback is McNabb, aka McStabb, and I am hyped beyond belief and once again I watch us get our butts kicked by the New England Patriots. I have lived through many quarterbacks, infamous coaches; Buddy Ryan, and two owners; Snyder and Laurie. I even remember actually watching, Vince Papale, the star from the movie, Invincible, play for the Eagles.

I have seen it all from killing a Giant to being dragged through the dirt by a Cowboy. Know matter what happens I still love the Philadelphia Eagles. How is it possible? It might be the memory of the smiles on my Dad and Grand pop’s faces when the Eagles would win. It might be the thrill of watching the Eagles beat the Dallas Cowboys on Christmas night. It might be the love I have for watching football. It might be the Monday discussions about the Sunday game with my die hard Eagle friends, Mr. Lobiondo and Mr. Simpson.

It could be from going to my first game against the Giants at the vet and Randall Cunningham somersaulted into the end zone right near where I was sitting. It could be because about 5 years ago we bought a “52” big screen TV to watch every game. Meeting Reggie White and Mike Quick at a party in Villanova could have been it. The bottom line is I never give up on my Eagles. I never fall off the wagon, even though my knuckles are white from holding on so tight.

It is now the year 2008 and I have not missed a second of a game and I have watched my Eagles lose a game to the Bears because of bad play calling and then tie the worst team in football, (maybe 2nd worst), and then the following week I watch Coach Reid bench McNabb, aka McStabb, and we get killed by the Ravens. Just when I think I can no longer stay on the wagon they come back and beat the Arizona, Cardinals, first in their division, and then the mighty Giants. We can’t forget in this same season they gave the Pittsburgh Steelers one of their few losses. UGH!

Like I said before, I believe being an Eagles fan takes tons of patience, valium, Prozac, and a never dying love of the color green!