I Almost Gave Up

Ashley - Gulfport, Mississippi

After my ninth grade year, my family and I had an idea for me to visit my dad in northern Mississippi. It was a rather beautiful summer afternoon in the middle of June. I was glued to the couch sitting directly in front of the television. My mom called to tell me my grades from the previous school year. “You didn’t pass this year, because your grades were low in the classes that you need to go to the next grade.” Those were the exact words that came from my mother’s mouth. The first question I asked myself, were my ears deceiving me? After I got off the phone with mom I cried like a baby. My dad hugged me and told me that everything will be alright.

My mind was made up to just forget about the whole school thing. Right then and there I had a crazy idea in my mind to drop out. “The devil puts those thoughts in your head because he knows you’re going to be something great” I had heard those words once before and they stuck out in the back of my mind like a sore thumb. That’s all I thought about. I began to fear wonder what would my family and friends would think of me if I went through with this idea.

I was ready to begin my next year of high school which was supposed to be my sophomore year. I decided that staying in Mississippi would be the best for me. My dad also thought this was an excellent idea since I haven’t spent enough time with him since I was a little girl. He already had in mind the School he wanted me to go to. The name of the school was Northwest Jr. High School. That is where I completed another year of the ninth grade. I wasn’t ashamed at all, actually I think that was the greatest thing I has ever done.

After I completed that year I felt like I should keep going. It seemed like those next couple of years flew by. I went on to the tenth grade year, then the 11th grade. After all that hard work of studying, doing homework and going to school every day I became tired of school as most students do. Many days I wanted to discontinue school. Once again I wasn’t thinking about what I would be doing in the future. I just knew that I always wanted to do something in the medical field. I knew I couldn’t accomplish much without a high school diploma. I wanted that last year to be over so bad, but it seemed like it was the slowest one of all my high school years. I guess that’s what it feels like to be in school an extra year.

The end of my senior year had finally come to past. By then I had managed good grades and I had high hopes to graduate with honors. It was time for graduation. That was the most memorable night of my life. Mom and other family had come from near and far to celebrate my big night. As I stood in the bleachers with the graduating class of 2008, I began to think back to when I first started my high school journey. It was a breeze even though I didn’t want to go through with it, but I had people rooting for me. All m hard work had finally paid off, and I had the diploma to prove it.

I almost gave up, but I’ am so glad that I didn’t.