strength through discipline

Randy - West Chester, Ohio
Themes: work

One must always look deep inside him and ask if he gave everything he had to offer. I believe in always working hard and staying dedicated to what your doing. Working hard will lead you to anything you want. All your goals in life will become reachable and realistic with a little effort.

It was my senior year and volleyball was just getting ready to start. Unfortunately the other setter on the team decided not to come back this year to play. That meant we were left with only one setter who just so happened to be me. Usually I set back row and hit front row. Now since we did not have our other setter I had to set all around and was not able to be a hitter. I did not let this get me down like some people would. Instead I accepted that this was where I had to play this year and made the best of it. Some people would have decided to quit right there on the spot since they were not playing where they wanted to play. I decided to stick it out since I enjoy the sport. I gave every practice everything I had so I could become a better setter and help the team out and lead us to a winning season. In the end though all the hard work paid off tremendously. It started out with us winning the first couple games of the season and then a couple more. Next thing you know the season was over and we had a record of 16 and 4. It was the best record Lakota West Men’s Volleyball had ever seen. Also, we made it farther in the tournament than we ever have. It doesn’t matter that we lost to the soon to be state champs, but its how we made it there. Our team would have never made it this far if we didn’t have such hard work ethics.

I model my hard work off a quote by Bruce Jenning. “I learned that the only way you are going to get anywhere in life is to work hard at it. Whether you’re a musician, a writer, an athlete or a businessman, there is no getting around it. If you do, you’ll win-if you don’t you won’t.” Hard work is a trait that I believe everyone should acquire. I will never forget playing volleyball at my high school and making it so far in the state tournament. Even though all the practices were extremely hard and very tiring, I would not have changed it to be any other way. All the hard work we put in definitely paid off for not only the team, but also myself.