True friends

shana - mesa, Arizona

True Friends

Many people believe that good friends are hard to find, and looking back at my life I really understand why. If I didn’t have certain friends in my life I probably wouldn’t have made certain decisions that I made. As the saying goes you get wiser with age, I would have to agree. It was when I turned 19 years old that I realized the company you keep around has a big influence on your life. Everything you do in life is a decision and the ones I was making was going to ruin my life if I let it. It all started when I was 17 and living in Detroit, Michigan, nearly all of my high school friends had went out -of -state for college. I also left to attend North Carolina Central University, but returned a year later because I was just so home sick. Since most of my friends were still away I was befriended by some people who live in my neighborhood. I never really new them before this but we were acquaintances and would always say hello when we saw each other. Soon after we began to hang out more and more, and I started to consider them my replacement friends. We began to drink and party almost every night, and because of this I lost my job. Eventually my family got sick of me just hanging out all the time and losing my job was the last straw. They kicked me out and told me that I wasn’t going to amount to anything in my life. Having know money and know place to stay I became a crasher, this is a person who just sleeps at different people’s houses until they get sick of you and you go some where else. It seemed to get worse and worse, because all my friends became pregnant, eventually I did too. I was scared, upset, confused, and very alone so I turned to my family for help. They told me if decided to keep the baby I was on my own and that I couldn’t even eat in there house if it was going to feed that baby. I made my decision and it wasn’t easy but this baby was apart of me and I couldn’t kill it, I had figure out a way for me to get my life together quick. The friends that I was hanging out with before seem to disappear, they had enough problems and didn’t have time for all my drama. By the time my high school friends returned home for spring break I was already 8 months pregnant with a little girl. They came to visit me and saw that I was in a deep depression but they never gave up on me. The big day came March 10, 2006 and the beautiful baby girl was here so healthy and strong. My friends and I prayed over her and asked God to help me be the best mother I could possibly be. My friends, Kisha, Joi, Dawn, Maeghan, Latoya, Kenyatta, and Jennifer helped me financially, emotionally, spiritually, and I thank them. I got myself together and although I am a single mom we never looked back. I now work as a chiropractic assistant and started back to school to obtain a social work degree. When I thought I was all alone I had my true friends to help pick me up, I love them, value them, trust them and appreciate them. They know me better then anyone else in the world and don’t want anything from me except what I want from them, “friendship.” I’m fortunate enough to have some great friends that I wouldn’t trade for the world. Money can’t buy everything because some things are truly priceless, I ‘m glad to say that I have such a wonderful gift. This is why I value friendship so much, it is simply irreplaceable