Being a defense attorney

Roxanne - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: injustice

This I Believe Essay

How would you feel if you were convicted of a crime of which you did not commit? Imagine yourself asking a co-worker for a ride home one evening after work, when suddenly you get pulled over by a Dona Ana county sheriff. As he stands by the driver’s car, he explains that the reason for pulling you over was because of an expired license plate. He also realizes that your co-worker is extremely nervous. This makes her seem suspicious, so he asks her to step out of the car. The officer notices that her eyes are constantly gazing towards the back seat. He informs both of you that he is going to search the car. While waiting, your friend whispers “ I’m Sorry,” at this moment you turn to look at the officer and realize that he has found a bag of cocaine under the backseat. Next thing you know, you’re being charged with “possession of a controlled substance,” a felony that carries a 3 to 5 years prison sentence. Why should you be punished, your co-workers is the guilty one, not you, all you were doing was getting a ride home.

I believe that everyone deserves to have someone on their side, saying “your innocent, you don’t deserve this stress, I believe you!” Everyone around you is making you feel unwanted and guilty. You began to feel like maybe their right, maybe I am guilty. Without a defense attorney, all accused would have this type of mind set. Therefore, defense attorneys have a very encouraging job, by that I mean, they’re the ones standing by your side telling you “everything is going to be ok.” They believe everyone deserves a fare trial, and it’s their job to ensure that the prosecutor has followed the law in every possible way, to convince a jury for a guilty verdict, this gives you a better chance. There are always possible leaks of evidence, floating around out there, whether it is a result of a bad childhood, a disability, or the officer forgot to get a warrant for a search. Warrants are only granted when there is probable cause. An officer doesn’t have the right to search or enter a house/vehicle without a warrant, unless they see something in plain view. If an officer does obtain evidence without a warrant, that evidence found cannot be allowed to be used in court. Yet, people rarely realize these small details, because they don’t have the experience or the knowledge of a policeman or a prosecutor. It’s as if they have taken away ones freedom, without the help of a defense attorney standing by your side.

My dream is to one day become a criminal defense attorney. I want to be that person that is stands be the side of an accused person. The type of person, people look for, with experience and dedication to ensure everyone gets a fair trial.