Everybody is me

Christopher - Batesville, Indiana

I believe that everyone has an impact on someone else’s life, either in a positive or a negative way. Every person you come in contact with will affect you whether you realize it or not. They can change your thinking, personality, or maybe just the way you look at life. If you take the time to realize what impact that person had on you, you are able to learn and grow from every experience.

As an EMT I try and learn from every patient I come in contact with. I try to see what the purpose is for me meeting this person other than to help them through their time of need. Many of my patients have taught me things that I either never realized or just needed a different perspective on.

Not only do I try and practice this personal belief while I’m working, but I try and practice this in school with my teachers. Out of all the English instructors that could have taught my class, I had the pleasure of having one of the most unique English teachers I have ever had. At first I thought that her methods were a little different and wasn’t sure how they would help me improve my writing skills let alone learning some life goals. As the semester got underway, I finally realized that this teacher has taught me things more than just writing. She got me to look beyond what is in front of me, and helped to realize that there is so much more out there, that no one knows everything, and there is always something new to learn.

I also try to practice this on a daily basis with people I just happen to meet doing day to day activities. For the past two years I have been planning to a multimillion dollar business. I had most of the plans drawn out and thought I was ready to take it to the investors. I was talking to one of the guys on my floor (not knowing he was an architecture major) going over some plans for my business. He went on to give some suggestions, which made me think about other things I can implement in my designs. We now sit around for hours at a time just brainstorming different ideas, designs, and landscaping. He changed my thinking completely on how this business would work.

I sincerely believe that every person you come in contact will affect you in some way or another. I try to take time and see the reason why I met a particular person. Whether it is positive or negative, if every person would take the time to realize how people affect them, they will be able to learn and grow from every experience they go through.